1. Learning Objectives
After reviewing this chapter readers should be able to:
- Define patient-reported outcomes and their role in research and practice;
- Identify different types of patient-reported outcome measures and their strengths and weaknesses in application;
- List and give examples of the concepts and domains incorporated into health status, quality of life, and health-related quality of life measures;
- Identify and define the measurement properties of new or existing patient-reported outcome measures, with special attention to validity of the assessment; and
- Write a critical appraisal of a patient-reported outcome assessment in a clinical trial.