1. Learning Objectives
After reviewing this chapter readers should be able to:
- Understand basic concepts of causality in terms of 2x2 tables.
- Understand the role of background and theoretical knowledge in social and behavioral research.
- Understand the relation of basic demographic information and other kinds of explanation in social and behavioral research.
- Understand the concept of confounding.
- Understand the role of mechanisms in social and behavioral explanation.
- Understand the problem of the underdetermination of theory by data in social science.