Design Decisions in Research
1. Learning Objectives
After reviewing this chapter readers should be able to:
- Describe the steps of the research process and key components of designing a study.
- Explain that the conceptual phase underpins and organizes any research study, quantitative, qualitative, or mixed methods.
- Recognize that the study design and methods are further determined by the problem to be examined, purpose of the study, and questions to be answered.
- Understand that rigorous methodological specification, implementation, and control of extraneous variables are necessary for valid and reliable statistical conclusions.
- Recognize that the processes and outcomes of research should be disseminated to appropriate audiences of professionals, policy makers and consumers in order to advance knowledge.